Thursday, July 3, 2008

6/26/08-Day 1

Below are emails exchanged between my good friend Molly and my brother Luke. Let's start with Molly...

*********************************************************************
anything interesting going on over there? -Molly

******

Well let's see...I went to the doctor yesterday to talk about weight loss. Now I'm supposed to exercise one hour every day and he put me on a 1200 calorie a day "diet". Print outs with menus and everything...so we'll see how that goes. -Sarah

******

thats really cool, Sarah. Do you have anyone to help you with it?

******
Well, my Luke and Heather...they've been wanting to ride their bikes, so we're going to start every night. They'll alternate and I'll go every time. And I told all my coworkers to keep me accountable at work. Friday's will be especially hard, at least this week, because every Friday we make cookies and it smells up the place SO GOOD!!!!!!! But no cookies for me anymore! And only black coffee! Which I used to only drink black coffee and then when I quit smoking I had to add creamer and sugar, so back to black for me! I'm starving...All I had for breakfast was a piece of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter and HALF a banana, I can't even have a whole banana!!! LOL, it's good though. I just hate feeling hungry, so it's going to be an adjustment. Luke told me that he feels hungry pretty much all the time, oh man, I don't know how he does that! I got to work at 7:45 and by 8:20 my stomach was already growling!!!

******

I always an more embarassed by the sound my stomach makes then the feeling of being hungry. I kinda like feeling hungry. You can do it Sarah, let me know if you want to work out together!

******

Okay! An hour every day seems fairly extreme to me. The doctor said I need to do AT LEAST an hour 5 days a week, but he's telling me every day so I'll hopefully hit the 5 days mark, hahahaha. He knows me well! He said I can break it up too, so on my lunch after I eat, or maybe even before, I'm going to go for a 15 minute walk. I meant to go for 15 minutes this morning too, but that didn't happen. Tonight I'm going to do the rest. I figure if I can do 15 before work, 15 on lunch and 30 at night, that doesn't seem impossible! So walk, walk, ride a bike. That's the plan...right after I get my bike from Julia's house, lol

******

you should walk to work...

******

Yeah right...that's so far! Besides, it's on Green Bay Road! Although I suppose I could take Pershing...but then I'd be all sweaty and gross...

******

thats why you leave extra early so that you can clean up a bit at work!

******

Sick man...I'll have to think about that one. I'll at least have to wait until my stamina get's built up...

******
Oh man...lunch was rough...I was actually starting to feel pretty lightheaded when I FINALLY got to go eat my Unwich. I ate that thing like I've never had food before! It was gone so fast. As I sat back in my chair to enjoy the "ahhh" feeling of being full...MY FREAKING STOMACH GROWLED SUPER LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was really hard...sitting there STARVING like that after I had just inhaled a "sandwich". So I decided I DEFINITELY needed to go get an apple, maybe some carrots too. I drove past your work, debated calling, but decided I needed food more than I needed to talk to you, lol. Pick n Save up on 18th has a fruit bar! Who knew?!??! So I filled up a container with watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple and strawberries, I'm guessing it was about 2 cups of fruit. As I drove back to work I ate like a mad woman! I only ate about 1 cup though, the rest I'm saving for my "snack" about 3:30 or so. When I got back to the office I still had about 15 minutes left on my break. So, I decided to get in ¼ of my exercise time. I ran up and down the back stairwell until I could hardly breathe and then I walked laps in the lower level (which is empty except for training rooms, but nobody was training). Now I feel like I could go for a nap...hahaha...maybe another cup of black coffee???

******

Sarah I think you should keep a diary of your weight loss experience. Write just like you wrote to me and then publish it! You would sells billions of it. Make it like a devotional book. One little "Sarah" excerpt a day.

******


I've actually thought about that! It'd be super easy on my laptop every night before bed, just write a little excerpt. Hahaha!!!!! Tonight I'm going to be measuring body parts, like my waist, hips, bust, thighs, upper arms, neck...I definitely think that journaling about it will be good and tracking everything will help too. So in one month when I feel like nothings changing I can measure again and say "NOT TRUE! I LOST ___ INCHES!!!"

******

you go girl!

******

And now on to Luke's...

******

Just thought I'd give you an update...I measured the peanut butter I put on my whole wheat bread this morning, only 1 tablespoon, and I only had half a banana instead of a whole one. I got to work at 7:45 and by 8:20 my stomach was growling already, oh man! I've already had 32oz of water and two very small cups of black coffee.

I already feel super proud of myself because last week was my coworkers birthday and she's been on vacation until today, so today my boss is buying everyone lunch from wherever she wanted to eat. She picked Jimmy John's. I'm still going to eat from there, but I'm getting the Unwich, which is a sandwich with no bread, it's a lettuce wrap thing. I got baked turkey, no mayo, Dijon mustard instead and ALL the veggies. My lunch is at noon...I tell you what I've never been so excited to eat a lettuce wrap!!!!! Did I mention I'M STARVING?!?!?!?!?! No chips or anything either, I'm thinking of going to the store and getting an apple or something, we'll see.

I'm doing it! And I told all my coworkers about it so that they can keep me accountable too. Every Friday we bake cookies for our customers here and the place smells so dang good and I usually eat a ton of them, so tomorrow will be kind of hard I think, but I've already told them all to keep me away from the cookies! And I told them if the see me putting cream or sugar in my coffee to tell me to stop it and drink it black. They're all excited for me and I think I'm actually motivating some of them to think about what they eat! -Sarah

******

That's great Sarah! I know the feeling hungry thing stinks, but just think about how when you're hungry and there's no food in your stomach, your body draws from the fat deposits in itself, so you get skinnier! I'm hungry right now too. All I've eaten so far today is a SMALL bowl of cereal, about 6 oz. of grape juice, a 12 oz cup of coffee, and water. YOU CAN DO IT! And yeah, STAY AWAY FROM THOSE DAMN COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Luke

******

These two seriously email me every day at work to see how I'm doing. And I'm so grateful for it!!!

No comments: