Thursday, March 25, 2010

Alter Ego's & Ingrid Michaelson

"I will live my life as a lobsterman's wife
on an island in the blue bay,
he will take care of me
he will smell like the sea,
and close to my heart he'll always stay

I will bear three girls
all with strawberry curls,
named Ella and Nelly and Fay,
while I'm combing their hair
I will catch his warm stare

on our island in the blue bay

Far away, far away,
I wanna go far away,
to a new life on a new shoreline,
where the water is blue
and the people are new,
to another island
in another life"

Today is a dreary, blustery March day.  I am listening to this song by Ingrid Michaelson and dreaming.  What is the appeal of this song?  What is the appeal of running away and starting over?

To me there's an element of romance to it all.  Of movie-esqe-ness.  Add in a dallop of "there's got to be something more" and there you have it--we all dream of something bigger and better.

This is a path I can find myself going down often in my thought life.  It always ends the same way though, whether I think it for a split second or an enitre afternoon, I end up realizing that I am living something that is bigger and better!

As a Christian, I know that things are not as they seem. 

I often feel like Clark Kent.  Or anyone else who has an alter ego.  I am working and living in the mundane world, yet all the while I have "the sight", I can "see" things as they truly are.  I am aware of the enemy that's out for me and my family and loved ones and know that there's the potential for a battle around every corner.  Because this is a war!!!  I am waging a war and there is a war being waged against me.  But it's not scary, because even while in the midst of the battle it can seem scary, I know I'm on the side that wins the war.

Oh man...I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!

I only wish I could communicate this better.

No comments: