Saturday, March 12, 2011

Fat Bottomed Girls You Make The Rockin' World Go Round

It is no secret that I am a bigger woman.  What most of you probably don't know is how difficult it is to find cute clothing if you're a bigger woman.  For whatever reason, if you're bigger, stores assume you want to wear the brightest, boldest, most sequined, beaded thing imaginable.

The truth is, bigger women do not want to wear those things.

We know we're big, we don't need stores trying to just drape us in fabric to get the point across (ie...shawls aka tents).  And maybe that's a personal preference, however today I decided to go to Goodwill.  I often go to Goodwill looking for books and/or dvds (now that everyone's buying blu-ray discs, dvds abound!).  I have on occasion ventured over to the clothing racks.  I have found a few cute things there too. 

Today, however, I found myself appalled as I walked the clothing aisles.  And while I did end up buying two articles of clothing, it was difficult to find anything worth even trying on.

I present to you:

Things Bigger Women Would Never Be Caught Dead Wearing

1.  While stripes can be slimming, it is imperative that they be vertical.  And one color.  And one size.


2.  Colored animal prints?  Really?  And what you cannot see here is that this is sheer.  Danger!


3.  I have no words.  The picture stole them all.


4.  I am not one to shy away from color.  But this is not what big women want when they want to wear color!


5.  See #4


6. I, personally, believe nobody should wear sequins.  Or shirts with beads sewed on them.  And I'm pretty sure most big women would not want to be a huge disco ball.  Or a bad acid trip.



So there you have it.  Is it really so difficult to know why these things are not what big women want to wear?  And some poor woman somewhere, at some time, was coerced into buying the above items be being told "Look how sporty it makes you look!" or "You look so young and hip!".  If these items were never pawned off as stylish on the larger crowd, I think a lot of us would be much happier walking down the street.

That is all.

(In no way is this meant to be offensive to anyone.  These are merely thoughts I found myself thinking about today.)


Oh, and I almost forgot.  I worked for YEARS in multiple retail stores.  Is it really so difficult to keep the maternity clothing out of the big lady section??  (And yes, Goodwill is the culprit here, but I'm looking at you too Target!)


2 comments:

lauren said...

oh. wow. you just spoke my mind of YEARS of fighting this losing battle. therefore, i have been reduced to my "uniform" of plain tops in various colors, either short- or long-sleeved, no fun collars or cuts, just. plain. boring.

Sarah said...

I hear ya girl. I hear ya.